Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Potty training and tennis

This is a photo of Oliver doing a wee in the potty but there is a catch. Simon asked him to do a wee right before the bath and Oliver said no. Simon then offered Oliver some M&Ms if he would do a wee in the potty and Oliver did one straightaway. See how pleased he looks with himself.

I have never had experience potty training a boy so we will see how we go. As the weather warms up I will get a bit more vigilant and maybe by the end of summer next year, we may be nappyless for the first time in 7 years. Night wee wees may take a little longer - who knows.

Today though Oliver wore Hallie's pink undies all day and went on the potty with no accident. Beginner's luck no doubt. Just to encourage him I think I had better head down to Best'N'Less and purchase Oliver some undies of his own - otherwise he might get a complex wearing Hallie's fairy frilly ones.

Also today Collette came out to Westbury for a visit. I love school holidays because with all of my family as teachers (I'm the odd one out - maybe I thought law would be easier than a room full of kids), I don't often get to catch up with them during the week so it is a real treat in the holidays.

We decided to take the kids to the skate park which has some skate ramps, a lovely enclosed play area with slides and climbing stuff and tennis courts. Collette had brought out the rackets and we set off with the kids on their bikes - Hallie one-handed of course. Nothing stops that girl.

I remembered the ball, racket, drinks - but not the camera. I was so annoyed but not enough to walk back home and get it. When we got there the courts were locked. A notice on the gate said "due to vandalism the courts were now locked and it was $10 for a key". We couldn't believe Westbury of all places would have locked tennis courts. So we started playing round the skate ramps, using one of the ramps as the net - can you see how it didn't quite work too well.

This kid came along on a BMX and asked us why were we not using the courts. I explained that they were locked and he said, "you can still get in". Right round the back was a hole in the wire fence. I imagined that Collette and I would have to crawl commando style under this fence just to get a game of tennis but when we walked around there, we saw the hole was quite big.

We spent a lovely afternoon pretending we were Lleyton Hewitt - obviously not playing too well then and ordering the kids around as our ball boys.

1 comment:

The Kings said...

Well done Oliver!! You have to teach Harri a trick or two. Bribery is always good :)