Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The miracle of birth.............


I have had THE most amazing day today. At 4.50am, Dean text me and said Mel was in the hospital in labour and if I wanted to come in, it would not be long now. Well I jumped out of bed, pulled on some clothes and tore down to the hospital, thinking the worst thing would be if I did not get there in time.

I arrived there just ahead of Jackie and the kids. Mel had decided long ago that Jackson and Charna could be present at the birth. Jackson is 10 today (Happy birthday mate - sorry you have to share it now with Tyren) and Charna is 5 in June. Kealin until today was their youngest at 3 but Mel already decided that he would not be at the birth.

having a break in the tea room about 6.30am
Mel was 7cm when I got there and doing real well. She was so amazing and being a real trooper through all that pain. I was so in admiration of her. Dean was a perfect support. Hand holder, back rubber and water boy all in one. When I held Mel's other hand, I expected to have it half squeezed off but Mel was kind to me.

By 8am, Mel had not shifted off 7cm so they decided to give her an epidural, well Mel decided for them! Jackie and I took the kids down to the cafeteria for breaky while they did this and Mark came and picked up Kealin. Kealin had his mind on McDonalds and nothing else. He definitely had his priorities in order.

When we got back up there at 10am, we just chatted and dozed until it was time for Mel to push. After nearly 1 hour of pushing, Tyren Corona was born at 12.57pm weighing 8.87 pounds. Jackie had gone to pick Mark and Kealin up and take Mark to an appointment at St Vincent's and would you believe it, she missed the birth by about 6mins. Aah!

Jackson and Charna were so good. I sat Charna on my lap right at the front so her and Jackson could see Tyren make his way into the world. It was so special and emotional. I loved every minute of it and am so in awe of Mel and what she did to get this little tiger here.

Funnily enough Mel was not up for photos just yet. Gee I wonder why!! She was just so relieved it was all over and was happy to watch us oohing and aahing over Tyren. What a precious experience that I will never forget and will always cherish. I tell ya it's so much better being the one not in the bed doing those hard yards.

big bro Jacko


Princess Charna

Proud grandma


PS To see some more photos of little Tyler check out Mama Jackie's blog, the very proud grandmother. Mel is going to hate that photo of her.

5 comments:

The Kings said...

That is so awesome that you were there for it Simone. I will never forget being there with Naomi. It was horrible watching her go through so much pain, but so amazing at the same time. Its a lot nicer when it isn't you going through it! :)

Cullis Family said...

oh, how exciting Tyren has arrived!
Can't wait to meet him.

Jackie said...

Lisa and Anna..I am so thankful that this was the day..I was like walking on egg shells all the time..thinking Mel is going to go anytime..I just like to thank Simone..you a TRUE friend to Mel and what a great Relief Society Pres you are..How loyal(hahaha) No really Simone you are a true friend and thanks for being there..you were a big help with the kids..Don't your husbands plan things well though..I wanted to wait for the birth, but Marks appointment was at 1pm..OH Well I still made it back there..damn parking spot..

make it perfect said...

WOW! that i so cool. i am so excited for you, and can only imagine mel holding it all together so amazingly. can't wait to see her and meet tyren. xx

Jackie said...

Nah Simone
Mel will hate me but i don't care..she looks beautiful anyway..hehehe
actually if you see her now simone, her rash has almost gone from her face...
been in to see tyren last night and today..she will be home tomorrow if all goes well..tyren just has a low blood sugar count but other than that he is sure a good eater..so cute...