Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Bad mother

Earlier in the week, Katherine put me on to a great book trilogy. I am a sucker for a good book and will put everything else on hold while I frantically gobble up each word.

This series was SO different to my usual genre. I have in common with my Dad a great love and fascination for history particularly war history and I love reading factual books on wars, not like a morbid fascination or anything like that but I like to study the politics behind why they started and the logistics of how they were played out and the mastermind strategies and how these moves would turn the tides of wars.

I also love autobiographies especially ones that speak about women rising through such hardships and huge obstacles and triumph as strong amazing women. I have read heaps of books on African slavewomen and growing up in the slums of Ireland.

BUT this one by a church member, Stephenie Meyer, was on..... wait for it...... VAMPIRES!! I know. Weird eh?? Not in the usual sense of sleeping in coffins at night and fanged teeth. I can't really explain without totally going on and on but I could not put them down. Fiction of course but I ended up reading 1800 pages in 28 hours.

As a result nothing got done and instead of the usual routine of putting the girls to bed with stories, prayers and songs, they gave up waiting for me and fell asleep on the lounge chairs. I kept reading until 2.30am until I could not stay awake any longer. Boy did I pay the next day because as you know there is no time to rest during the day with kiddies. The next night I was only up until 11.15.


What was even worse is that the first book I finished at 10.30pm and I went and knocked on Katherine's door at that hour and asked for the second book and kept going until 2.30am. Isn't that SO rude!!

Simon came home from night shift and found me reading and he was like, 'what on earth are you doing". He had this 'you are mad' look on his face. Aaah he is not addicted to reading like me.... they just don't understand. We don't have time to indulge in our hobbies much as busy Mums so I had to do it at night when the kids were fast asleep. It was worth it!

I even read standing at the stove stirring the tea. I had such a sore head but thoroughly enjoyed my little escape from reality.

3 comments:

The Kings said...

You crack me up!!

Carli said...

We both have the same addiction!

Chelsea Parsons said...

ahhh I have read all three and got sucked in too. I woudlnt let my teenager read them though. the third gets a little saucy! Just cause she is Mormon and they are for teens doesnt mean they are Mormon standard! But I loved them......