Tuesday, September 30, 2014

First visit to Adelaide


 This past week I have spent a lovely time in Adelaide visiting Collette, Hayden and Toby in Adelaide. They moved in January and will be there for five years while Hayden completes a radiology program at the Flinders Medical Centre, to become a radiologist, the speciality he has chosen as a doctor.

I have never been to Adelaide and the prospect of going somewhere new and without any kids was vey exciting. I took about 4 books to read as I knew I would have the plane trips from L'ton to Melbourne and from Melbourne to Adelaide all to myself. Having travelled overseas with 5 kids, I think that was one of the things I was most excited about.

It was so nice to just hang with Collette and do day-to-day stuff with her.  Collette had her finals basketball game while I was there and I got to be the scorer. They WON! And no it was not rigged by the scorer. lol.


It looked like a really fun social women's roster that she has got into over there.

 Just popping a shot in!


Even though it was September and still quite cold back at home, the weather was already warming up in Adelaide and there were beautiful sunsets at the end of the day.


On one of the nights we went down to Christie's Beach and went out for tea with one of my oldest and dearest friends, Naomi Ellis. She is such a beautiful person inside and out and it was so nice kicking back with her and Collette and having a few laughs.


And this boy was such a cutie. I had the best time hanging out with him. One night Collette and Hayden went out on a date while I babysat and he was so funny as I read stores to him that night.


A few days into my stay, Jess, Kyle, Bastian and Nora came for a visit, driving all the way from Melbourne for her 26th birthday which was on the 26th of September. It was nice for a change, these guys having all the kids and me none. I was always ready first! lol.


We took the kids to the Adelaide Zoo on Jess' birthday.










Later that day we went out for tea for Jess' birthday with a few ex-Tassie friends, Mel Watt and Chad Honey and went to Brace Girdles for dessert.  I do remember Jess ordered lambs brain for her meal and I tried it. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but I would never attempt it at home. 

I love how I took zilch photos of anyone… except the dessert. Got my priorities right.


On the Saturday it was the AFL grand final day and it was super hot outside. Over 30 degrees which for a Tasmanian in September was SO exciting. We took the kids to the beach before the football started.





While Jess and Kyle babysat Toby, we went to the Adelaide temple.
It was such a beautiful day.

On my last day, after church we went down to have a look at Glenelg.
It was so pretty and I would love to live in that area but it is quite an expensive part of the city.


My dodgy iPhone 4 pics …. waiting for the 6 to come out! :)




I enjoyed my time SO much with my sisters and loved the time away by myself. I really did miss the family and mores when we were doing fun things like the zoo that I knew the kids would have loved. It reminds me that as parents we do so much of putting our kids first because we delight so much in seeing them enjoy life and having experiences that they can draw fond memories from. Bring on the next Adelaide trip! 

No comments: