Saturday, January 3, 2015

traditional fireworks fun with friends {NYE 2014}

I can't believe New Year's Eve has come around so quick again. Last year I was working so this year I really wanted to be part of our  NYE tradition, starting nearly a year after Aaron died. On Aaron's last NYE, he took Lisa and the boys to the fireworks at Royal Park and since then we have joined the Kings in carrying on the tradition. 

Simon had to work this year instead which was a bummer,  but it was nice to know that last year while I was working, he carried out our traditional fireworks fun at Royal Park.

We started off at the Gorge around 7 pm with the Kings and Woodwards and as usual the kids got in the pool. Gary kindly offered to cook my sausages for the kids for me, which was really nice as the BBQ is away from the pool and I didn't miss out on any "hanging out" time. I've been working heaps over the last few weeks in the lead-up to Christmas and had worked Boxing Day night as well so I was really looking forward to some down time with my good friends.

Eden, Flynn and Kobe don't look at all cold. ;)

A bit before 9pm we all headed into town to Royal Park for the 9.30 fireworks display. We always sit on the hill just to the side of Royal Park because you don't have to pay to get in and you have the same view of the fireworks. I call it freeloaders hill and it's really fun as heaps of other people have the same idea.

It was hard to get some good photos of the fireworks on my phone but the kids loved it and it went for a good 5 minutes.

It was so nice to hang out with these two and have more than a few laughs. Good friends are priceless!

I had dropped Sarra off at my sister's for an unofficial youth party, my niece Emily and a few others had organised and I had all intentions of just quickly picking her up at 10.15pm and heading straight home to bed. I had worked the night before and had only 4 hours sleep so I was starting to feel the effects of that as well as having worked for a few hours during the day as well. Sarra had been having a great time and when I got there, the bonfire was raging and Chris was bringing out the sparklers so I said to the kids we would stay "for just a minute".

Well the minute turned into 12.30am and I'm happy that we all made it to midnight, except Flynn who fell asleep on my lap at around 10.30pm. It was so nice to sit around the fire and chat to my sister and watch the kids having fun. By the time we got home it was nearly 1am and after putting the kids to bed and bringing things in from the car, it was 1.45am and Simon would be home in 15mins. I had now been officially up for 22 hours and as soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out and did not even hear Simon come home 15 mins later.  

It was a great night and Im glad we started off the new year with some beautiful memories with some awesome people.

No comments: